L 35-24



Scarborough - 1st XV

By Charlie Hopper

Scarborough were unable to put an end to Moortown’s unbeaten home record as they fell to a 35-24 defeat at Far Moss on Saturday.

Moortown started the game on the front foot and scored the game’s first try in the third minute. They were able to feed the ball out wide and Jack Hughes collected to bundle his way over. Fly-half Eddie Crossland added the extras to give his side the perfect start. Scarborough responded in the best possible fashion as they built the phases but lost the ball inches away from the line. Tom Ratcliffe kicked a penalty in the 9th minute following a dangerous tackle on Aaron Wilson to give his side their first points of the afternoon. Simon Smith’s side were dealt an early blow however as Wilson was forced off the field with a shoulder injury. In the 15th minute, the hosts scored their second try as the ball was worked wide from the scrum and winger Tom Moorby crashed over. With the conversion missed it left the score at 12-3. Debutant Sam Jackson scored his sides first converted try as he was able to collect a pass and use his pace to power over the try line for 12-10. Back came the home side however and missed tackles proved costly for Scarborough as centre Gary Smith raced over the line for another converted try. The momentum continued to swing throughout the first-half and in the 32nd minute back came the visitors. A driving maul picked up pace and the in-form Luke Brown managed to bulldoze his way over the line for another converted try to reduce the arrears to 19-17. A Moortown try, just before half-time, was a blow for Smith’s side as crossland crossed over for an unconverted try to leave the game nicely poised at 24-17.

Having spent the early exchanges under pressure, the Silver Royd outfit were dealt another hefty blow as Matty Jones rolled his ankle and was forced to leave the field. Immediately after, the Far Moss based side used a penalty advantage and Tom Moorby received the ball as he scored another unconverted try for 29-17.  With Smith’s side looking to find a way back into the game a penalty and a delicate drop goal stretched the home sides lead to 32-17. Jackson went close again as he used his pace out wide to avoid the tackles only for the youngster to be bundled into touch just short of the line. With just seconds remaining, Jordan Holloway managed to battle his way through the tackles to give his side hope of gaining a losing bonus point. Ratcliffe converted to leave the score at 35-24. The game was soon brought to an end as Scarborough slipped to defeat and welcome strugglers West Hartlepool to Silver Royd next weekend.


Scarborough: 1. nino cutino 2. stuart smyth 3. matty jones 4. will rennard 5. luke brown 6. will leah 7. euan govier 8. aaron wilson 9. jordan wakeham 10. tom ratcliffe © 11. sam jackson 12. henry hocking 13. angus frend 14. jonty holloway 15. tom harrison
Substitutes: 16. joe nellist 17. jordan holloway 18. lewis cowlishaw

Scarborough News "Man of the Match": will rennard

He continued to give 100% across the park making an impact throughout the game. Euan Govier and Will Leah also performed well.