L 27-5



Scarborough - 1st XV


Scarborough turned in their poorest performance of the season in wet and windy conditions and were completely out-played by a lively and committed Hullensians side.

Playing with the wind and rain behind them the Humbersiders got off to a flying start when a break by fly-half Chris Harding cut through some flimsy tackling releasing centre Rob Harding who galloped over for the opening score in the 5th minute. Fullback Guy Martinson failed to convert.

Leading 5-0 Hullensians dominated both territory and possession by getting the basics right and looked sharper and more focused than a distracted-looking Scarborough side.

Under pressure at the set pieces, particularly the lineout the Seasiders were well served by No8 Isaac Faamau who did a great job at the base of a retreating scrum and prop Liam Murray whose powerful running gave the visitors momentum when they had possession.

Ex-Hull RFC fullback Martinson stretched the home lead to 8-0 with a penalty in the 19th minute and five minutes later added the conversion to a push-over try when No8 Jason Conroy got the touch for 15-0.

Scarborough eventually got to spend some time in the Hullensians half in the last ten minutes of the half when the home side gave away a string of penalties. However they lacked the penetration to make much inroads and having conceded a try when prop Mario Ellison was driven over from a catch-and-drive. Martinson added the extras for a 22-0 half-time lead.

It looked as if a rout was on the cards when a tap-penalty just inside his own half in the 42nd minute saw Chris Harding cut through a lethargic visiting defence before releasing flanker Alex Cullen to power over for a bonus-point fourth Hullensians’ try.  Martinson failed to improve the 27-0 score-line with his kick.

The persistent downpour ceased after the break but with the wind behind them the visitors knuckled down and improved as the half progressed but lacked the penetration to take advantage of their pressure and failed to make much impression on the home defence.

With much more possession than in the first half Tom Ratcliffe’s men should have done so much more but the ball was so slow from the breakdown that Hullensians had ample time to organize a smother defence.

Good blind-side possession in the 69th minute involving Tom Ratcliffe and fullback Ant Coffey led to what appeared to be a try in the corner for Coffey; however alert touch-judge David Coates spotted a foot in touch and the young Kiwi’s effort was disallowed.

With the Seasiders piling on the pressure for a consolation try near the end, Faamau was felled by a high tackle by Hull’s Jason Conroy.  Following the ensuing ‘handbags’ Conroy, flanker Kevin Bates and substitute JJ Burrell for the home side and Toby Welsby for the visitors were sin-binned by referee Jim Saunders.

And with seconds remaining Scarborough got the score their second half efforts deserved when prop Wesley Langkilde was driven over following great work by Faamau from a catch-and-drive. Coffey’s conversion attempt slid wide and Hullensians ran out deserved 27-5 winner of a one-sided match.



Murray and Faamau were head and shoulders above their teammates providing spirit and forward momentum in an otherwise inept Scarborough performance.


With a few honourable exceptions Scarborough just didn’t turn up for this game and once again failed to compete adequately at the set pieces due to a lack of power in their tight five.


Tries: langkilde


Tries: harding, conroy, ellison, cullen

Conversions: martinson 2

Penalties: martinson


Scarborough: coffey, ratcliffe, chadwick, white, jeffrey, stewart, wakeham, langkilde, hopper, murray, readman, ireland, scales, govier, faamau
Substitutes: zavatti, martin, welsby

Hullensians: martinson, steel, r.harding, emmanuel, lanford, c.harding, c.smith, ellison, vernon, baron, t.smith, coughlan, bates, cullen, conroy
Substitutes: whitehouse, burrell, simpson

Scarborough News "Man of the Match": liam murray & issac faamau