L 36-13



Scarborough - 1st XV

By Charlie Hopper

Scarborough RUFC’s three game unbeaten run came to an end on Saturday, as they slipped to a frustrating 36-13 defeat at Morpeth.

Head coach Matty Jones, was once again forced to make changes ahead of the game, and his side got off to the perfect side winning a penalty in the sixth minute. Fly-half Tom Ratcliffe opted to go for the posts and give his side a 3-0 lead. The lead only lasted for ten minutes, with the home side capitalising on a defensive error and scrum-half Mckay crossing the try line. The impressive full-back Elliot successful kicked the conversion to give his side a 7-3 lead. Jones’ side then hit straight back in the 19th minute with a converted try from Tom Harrison. Winger James Long passed the ball out to Harrison, who weaved his way through the tackles to score under the posts. Morpeth then kicked two consecutive penalties in the 24th and 31st minute to retake the lead at 13-10. Scarborough then won a penalty in the 33rd minute following a penalty at the breakdown. Tom Ratcliffe stepped up to continue his 100% kicking record in the game. On the brink of half-time, the Silver Royd outfit came close to retaking the lead. Joe Marshall broke through the line of defence, sprinted downfield only to find Will Rennard, who’s offload found its way to an opposition player.

Scarborough came close once again at the start of the second-half when Tom Anderson broke through on the wing, but his offload was eventually knocked on. The home side took the lead and extended it through two back-to-back penalties. Aaron Wilson was the first player to be given a yellow card, and Elliot kicked for the posts to give his side a 19-13 lead. A high tackle from Sam Dawson presented Elliot with another opportunity to kick, and he made easy work of the penalty to stretch the lead. Scarborough tried to find a way back into the game, but a converted try from Donnelly in the 74th minute left them with a mountain to climb. The Mitford Road based side crossed for their third try of the game in the 80th minute. Elliot used his quick feet to find space and cross the try line. The try scorer then added the extras to help his side to a 36-13 victory.

Scarborough return to Silver Royd on Saturday, when they welcome third place Ilkley as they look to bounce back from the defeat at Morpeth.