1st XV

L 24-27




By Charlie Hopper

Scarborough slipped to their fifth defeat in a row as a try in the 80th minute proved the ultimate blow for Simon Smith’s side.

Kendal managed to start the game quicker and were immediately presented with the opportunity to score the game’s first try. Scrum-half Lewis Kincarte crossed under the posts following a quick break and Glen Weightman could add the extras to give his side the perfect start to the game. The fly-half was kicking at the posts again as more missed tackles presented winger Nick Carlton with the chance to run clear of the defence and score. Weightman’s conversion however was missed to leave the score at 12-0. Simon Smith’s side then had half a chance in the ninth minute when centre Billy Parker broke clear but he was eventually tackled short of the line. In the 17th minute the home side scored their first points of the afternoon. The ball was spread along the line and centre Henry Hocking avoided the tackles to crash under the posts for a converted try to reduce the gap to 12-7. The game was brought level in the 22nd minute, a dangerous driving maul picked up pace and it bundled over in the corner with Tom Ratcliffe missing the difficult conversion. The visitors then retook the lead just after the half-hour mark with an unconverted try. Full-back Tom Harrison’s kick was charged down and Carlton managed to chase the ball down for 17-12. The momentum then swung again as Smith’s side looked to draw level. Winger Jack Anderson found space out wide but was eventually tackled into touch just five metres out. On the brink of half-time Parker scored a converted try as he broke through the defence to score for 17-17. As the game headed into injury time Kendal won a penalty and kicked to add three points to the score and edge into the lead.

The second-half began in the best possible fashion for the Silver Royd outfit but they failed to capitalise. Scarborough then took the lead for the first time in the 56th minute, their scrum held firm and scrum-half Jordan Wakeham could off-load to Harrison who chased down his delicate kick over the top to score. The difficult conversion was put over by Ratcliffe for 24-20. Visiting substitute Jack Lashley saw the game’s first yellow card for a tip-tackle in the ruck and Scarborough looked to take full advantage. Despite having a 77th minute scrum five metres out, the referee awarded a very soft penalty and the visitors turned their attention to attack. They slowly worked their way up the field and skipper Glen Weightman handed Simon Smith’s side the ultimate blow scoring under the posts and converting to hand his side the lead at 27-24. With just seconds to spare Boro mounted a final attack but it came to no avail and they fell to their fifth straight defeat. Scarborough hit the road for their next game away to Percy Park next week, 2:15 kick off


Scarborough: 1. matty jones 2. stuart smyth 3. joe nellist 4. luke brown 5. phil watson 6. will leah 7. chris purdy 8. aaron wilson 9. jordi wakeham 10. tom ratcliffe 11. joe marshall 12. billy parker 13. henry hocking 14. jack anderson
Substitutes: 16. nino cutino 17. jordan holloway 18. lewis cowlishaw (all used)

Scarborough News "Man of the Match": will leah

The youngster impressed especially in defence with his speed at the break down and vital tackles at key times. Aaron Wilson also impressed throughout.