1st XV

L 21-47



Bradford & Bingley

By Charlie Hopper

Scarborough RUFC suffered another disappointing defeat against Bradford & Bingley as the Bees ran riot at Silver Royd. Out of form Scarborough were seeking a victory against a Bradford & Bingley side who were also in poor form and the home side were immediately under pressure straight from the kick-off. Simon Smith’s side had a line-out in an attacking position but it was stolen and the visitors could break clear. Kati Tu’ipulotu received the ball and managed to ease over the line for the game’s first converted try. The Bees added another converted try to their tally in the sixth minute. Fly-half Lance Taylor scrambed over after his side had broken clear thanks to missed tackles from Boro. In the 11th minute Scarborough were able to half the deficit through Tom Harrison’s try, fly-half Tom Ratcliffe converting in windy conditions to leave his side trailing 14-7. Despite a slight fightback from the home side Bradford & Bingley were able to take full control of the game. In the 16th minute Jamie Martin touched down having broken through the tackles with Taylor making easy work of the conversion. Martin had his second try just minutes later, more missed tackles costing Smith’s side as the centre could pace his way over for another converted try for 28-7. Neither side managed to add to the score line before half-time despite the home-side coming close. Half-time presented Boro with the chance to regroup and they started the second-half slowly. Mu Li Taufa crossed over in the 44th minute after his side had broke quickly to stretch his side’s lead, Taylor converting for 33-7. The commanding lead was added to only four minutes later with Adam Sutcliffe receiving the ball out on the wing and squeezing in to extend the lead to 40-7. In the 51st minute the Silver Royd fateful were able to witness the start of an unlikely comeback. Billy Parker, who had returned from an injury, was able to power his way over the line for his side’s second converted try at 40-14. After applying more pressure hooker Stuart Smyth managed to avoid the tackles to dive for the line to score his side’s final points of the game, Ratcliffe converted for 40-21. The game then fell flat as both sides made mistakes across the park but in the 78th minute the Bees provided the ultimate blow, Tom Booth diving over for another converted try to leave the final score at 47-21. A disappointing finish to 2019 for Scarborough with the Christmas break providing the team with the chance to rest up and re-introduce injured players. Scarborough will return in the New Year with a home game against visitors Kendal on Saturday January 4 before a trip to take on Percy Park a week later.